On Thursday we ate delicious dad-made waffles with walnuts and chatted pleasantly about climate change and the scale of future doom. We bid the California contingent a fond farewell mid-morning. I made Mom listen to some Radio Lab stuff about the periodic table of the elements and recounted another episode about the mind body connection until we left to see "Public Enemies". Several of us liked it. A couple of us were disturbed by the occasional reality TV cinematography. This is the camera work that looks like "The Blair Witch Project". Instead of making me feel like I am in the story, it makes me feel like I am on the set. It totally ruins the illusion for me and is bothersome. However, this only happened a few times and I thought it was an alright film. One of us did not like it (initials ebm) and one of us was proud to have fallen asleep for only 15 minutes during the movie (initials clm).
We had spaghetti for dinner. Unlike last time I was home, I refrained from making garlic bread. My garlic bread was really garlic salt with a thin slice of support bread: hideous. This time I selected some sundried tomato bread and just let it ride.
Friday I finally gathered three seasons of "Gilmore Girls" DVDs which clm is lending me and began to pack up the little white (ailing) VW Jetta. Because unflattering diagnoses have been made about the catalytic converter and other mainstays of the inner workings, and because those dire predictions have been followed by dismaying seizure like symptoms upon travel at less than highway speeds (including idling in line for fast food), I packed a cooler full of cherries, sandwiches, bananas, cheese, and crackers before vowing not to stop except for gas. My only other precaution was to show some love by pointing out my lucky car 'coon to clm. He looks like this:

Thanks to evershedm's flickr account for this photo demonstration of the car 'coon.
Tomorrow: the drive from WY to CO to NM.
No comments:
Post a Comment