The people who showed up represented a web of connections characteristic of St. Olaf. Just for example, Rachel, Susie, and Sarah were roommates sophomore year (knew each other since freshman year). Pretty straightforward, eh? Let me outline their connection to me alone (let's set aside the other 9 people who came along on this trip).
Sarah's fiancee, Justin, and I went to Italy together for an interim course over January our sophomore year. In the spring, I decided that my plan to room with my dear friend, Meredith, was not such a good plan. I told no one until one day I saw Justin outside the caf and he looked at me curiously and asked me what was up. I spilled my guts and he allowed as how that was really weird since his girlfriend, Sarah, was in exactly the same situation and would I be interested in rooming with her? So we did. Meanwhile, Meredith and Susie went on an interim trip over January to Italy together. These peculiar, iridescent strands bound us together in one way or another into a web that would now impress even Charlotte.
Bachelorettes, their relations, high school and college friends converged on Las Vegas beginning
This was a remarkable group of women to travel with. Some took the initiative to plan events/activities ahead of time like a "Stripper 101" class, a trip to the spa, and free admission to the club 'Body English' where some of our party saw Dave Coulier, Bob Saget, and John Stamos. Also, there was a very fluid transfer of leading and following between group members and a very laid back splitting up and re-congregating throughout the weekend. Most of the time we looked like Madeline: 12 little girls in 2 straight lines. See below:
As far as Srtipper 101 goes--all you need to know about pole dancing you learned on the playground in elementary school...except, perhaps, how to keep skin from sticking to the pole, but this was only '101' so I didn't learn the answer to that (must be baby powder or something).
By this time, everyone but Susie, Trisha, Rachel, and I had thrown in the towel. This was too bad because they missed karaoke with MC Sarah and Stewart. Here is a picture of Stewart singing "She Bangs" by Ricky Martin. He started singing, but there was so much cheering that he called the song to a halt, told us all to hush up because he's hard of hearing, and demanded that the song be started over. And then...he brought down teh house! Stewart was the star, but this place was full of the American Idol Contestants That Never Tried Out. I think it was his vibrato, vaguely reminiscent of a billy goat ("she ba-a-a-angs, she ba-a-a-angs") that won us all over so completely.
We ended up singing 'Old Time Rock 'n Roll' with the chicks pictured (from Ireland) and this guy who sang every song with everyone (and was not great). Before this, we sang the Fugees rendition of 'Killing Me Softly' which we dedicated to the fellas working construction across the street, specifically Crane Number Thirty-Seven (someone told us there were, like 42 cranes in Vegas at any given time, or just this given time or something) so Rachel dubbed this one #37.
Monday held some more hanging out by the pool and then Kris, Susie, and I were the last ones
I'll try to correct any spelling/grammer/sense mistakes, but I thought I'd actually throw my one reader a bone and catch this baby up!
No comments:
Post a Comment